<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saga of a woman old enough to know better who lets her life be governed by the ridiculous hobby of breeding and showing dogs, musing on life, the twenty first century, Cameron and his mini-me, and the occasional sheep.
"IN DOG YEARS, I`M DEAD"

Saturday, April 20, 2013

PAPILLON AND CHIPS 

Due to a trend to relaxing security at Championship shows (one has done away with it altogether, and you can take any dog you fancy in or out), and a spate of reports of stolen dogs, I decided to go with mocrochips.  I thought I would start with the 3 youngsters...looking at the rest of the pack I wondered just who would want any of them, and as for the Granny Farm, I suspect I couldn`t give them away.  Anyway, the youngsters are the ones who travel.
Electronic dogs - Belle, Angel and Cupcake

So I packed them up and off we set away over the hills on a beautiful sunny day to the vet.  My vet is a bit distant, but really good.  The premises are very basic - a converted cottage in the main street of a village where you sit on kitchen chairs and the filing system is a card index box - but the treatment is excellent, and really not expensive, probably because they have very few overheads.  (My previous vet was financing a huge vet hospital, an expensive lifestyle,  and his own retirement, mainly from my account).

We arrived to an atmosphere of chaos.   The efficient lady who managed the card index was absent, and the two vets struggled with an avalanche of well-thumbed cards.   But I got my lot to the table and we struggled through all the paperwork, and at last the chips were implanted.

Angel didn`t care.   Belle cared desperately and screamed and gave the vet her big-eyed "you have betrayed my trust " look.   Cupcake didn`t even notice.   For him the worst had already happened - he had been taken over winding roads in a car.  For distant shows he is dosed with pills, but not this time.   He had arrived soaking, and he sat on the table with his head down, dripping copiously from the mouth.  He would not have noticed ear amputation.

Well, I got my 3 newcomers to the electronic age home, and looked at them, and began to speculate.   What about a control chip?  I picked up the Freeview remote control.   Suppose it could control dogs instead?

I suggested to my 3 that they would now be entirely under my control, and that one click on the remote would bring them literally to heel.    I received 3 looks of utter scorn.  They sauntered off, secure in the knowledge that no advance in science would ever lead to Papillon control.

Shelby looked after them, unimpressed.   He does not believe in new technology.

Shelby is tattooed.


Comments:
All of my dogs have been microchipped. They are pets, not show dogs. I found a stray a few years ago, took it to my vet, and when it did not have a microchip, was forced to turn it in to animal control. Within hours I saw a lost poster, contacted the owner, who promptly retrieved her pet. When she called me I told her to go and get her dog chipped immediately. There have been quite a few lost or stolen pets reunited with their owners because they were chipped. I am glad that you have done this with your show dogs.
 
By the way, I would love a control chip -- instant housetraining, obedience, bark control ...
 
The triumphant trio! They are just stunning. Bailey is now going to get microchipped.
 
My crew is microchipped. Also we put locks on our crate doors at shows - but your crew are so small I guess someone could just pick them up cage and all!
It's scary to think of, but fortunately dog theft at shows is pretty rare. We all just have to remember to keep an eye on our neighbor's set ups.
 
Actually I would really love a control chip that could get dogs to do simple housework....just a dream!
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?